- 1961 - 1980 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
13 Newspaper clippings, some mounted.
Name of creator
The City of Leeds Training College was formed in 1907. In 1913 a purpose built training college was opened in the grounds of the former Kirkstall Grange estate bought from the Beckett family. In 1933 Carnegie Hall was built on the same estate, to house the Carnegie College of Physical Training. A library was formed in the City of Leeds Training College and from 1912 this was housed in the Educational Block (today known as the James Graham Building). The hostels on the training college site each housed a Library but how extensive these were has not been established. From 1933 onwards Carnegie College had its own separate Library in Carnegie Hall. In 1968 the training college by then renamed City of Leeds College of Education was merged with the renamed Carnegie College of Physical Education to form the City of Leeds and Carnegie College and the separate libraries were combined. The College merged with Leeds Polytechnic in 1976 and the Library was retained at Beckett Park. In 1992 Leeds Polytechnic became Leeds Metropolitan University. The Library was renamed Beckett Park Learning Centre in 1996, in 2004 it became Headingley Campus Library.